Never in a woman’s life is her health more precious than when she’s pregnant. Suspecting that your home or business might be infected with mold can be downright terrifying for some expectant mothers. Having a true understanding of the variety of mold types as well as how it can affect a woman and her unborn child is vital to putting her mind at rest.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has stated that exposure to some types of mold can cause significant health issues for individuals, particularly those that are young, elderly, or sufferers of respiratory issues. It is important to remember that not all mold is toxic and that it exists even in the air you breathe outside. Small amounts of non-toxic mold spores are not harmful. The question is which ones are “safe” and in what amounts as there are literally thousands of different types.
Keep in mind that inhaling large amounts of even non-toxic spores can be harmful. Some black mold, particularly stachybotrys can be extremely toxic because it contains mycotoxins.
What type of harmful effects can occur? The specifics are vague in regards to how a fetus might suffer if their mother is exposed to black mold due to the lack of determinable evidence available. Many physicians believe that there could be significant physical damage suffered which include slowed growth of fetus, damage to the brain and reduced functioning respiratory system. Other suspected health conditions related to mold exposure include things such as asthma or extreme allergies in the mother and paralysis to the fetus either in the womb or out. If you are exposed to toxic black mold for an extended period of time, or at very high levels, it could possibly lead to a miscarriage or even premature labor.
It can be complicated to determine whether you have symptoms related to exposure to toxic mold or if they are just normal pregnancy changes. Similar symptoms that result from pregnancy and mold exposure include runny nose, watery eyes, itchy skin and shortness of breath. If you have these symptoms, and if you have areas within your home that have been exposed to heat and water over an extended period of time, then you might want to consider the possibility that you have a mold problem.
Take precautions to safeguard the health of your baby by being proactive and contacting a mold remediation specialist such as Indoor-Restore Environmental Services to investigate your home or business for possible mold growth. We can be reached at (866)358-3838. Just because you cannot see the mold doesn’t mean it’s not there. A specialist understands the necessity to look beyond the basement and into the attic, between walls, under cabinets, as well as other hiding places. Any suspect mold found is sent off to a third party lab to identify any mold present, the types of spores and the levels of toxicity, if any. Once the results are in, a full report is presented to you with the findings, and if necessary, remediation recommendations. All fees and procedures will be explained to you before any work is completed.
Parents-to-be have enough to worry about without adding additional health problems and complications. Mold removal, whether toxic or not, is not a project that you should attempt on your own. The spores will come off the walls, and they will inevitably end up in the air, and can actually become more dangerous. They will also likely return since the main source has not been eliminated. Hiring a certified professional, such as those at Indoor-Restore Environmental Services will ensure that the problem is discovered, eliminated and the entire area is decontaminated with the proper equipment.