Mold in your home or building is not an issue to be taken lightly. While mold may seem like something you can take care of when you have the time due to its ability to lay dormant and remain hard-to-notice, every day that a mold problem is not addressed is a day that your quality of air is lessening and the building materials of your home or building are weakening. It’s important to recognize how your home or building might become a high risk environment for mold growth.

The easiest rule of thumb with mold is that it will thrive wherever there is moisture and food. The food problem can’t be avoided because mold feeds off of organic material and nearly every aspect of a building from the wood framing to sheet rock contains organic matter. The item that can be controlled is moisture.

[wc_row][wc_column size=”one-half” position=”first”] [imageframe lightbox=”no” padding=”50px” style=”border” style=”dropshadow” bordercolor=”#ffffff” bordersize=”4px” stylecolor=”” align=”left” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1”]mould-home-outside[/imageframe] [/wc_column][wc_column size=”one-half” position=”last”]

Excess moisture is the #1 cause of mold growth. Moisture can be the result of many faults. It could be the result of a leak in your ceiling or cracked windows, faulty appliances slowly leaking moisture into your carpets or walls, or areas in your home that involve excess moisture with poor ventilation. The frustrating thing about mold is that it can occur in places that are not typically exposed, or places that you do not check every day. An attic, crawlspace, or basement could all be perfect environments for mold to thrive as well as in walls or the back of cabinets.


Many people do not think of high humidity as a cause of mold, but high humidity is the number one cause of mold that goes unnoticed for long periods of time. Areas in your home that generally have high humidity such as bathrooms and basements, if not properly ventilated, can create a perfect environment for rapid mold growth. If you have an area in your property that is at high risk of black mold due to poor ventilation and high humidity, it is important to get a black mold technician to assess possible health threats.

Leaky appliances can be as dangerous when it comes to providing a good environment for mold growth, just as humidity can. Many people take their appliances for granted, not thinking about how much water is used by their dishwasher, toilet, sink, or water heater, not to mention many other common household appliances. With so many appliances using such volumes of water, it is easy for daily wear and tear to cause leaks or splits where steam or water might escape. Areas directly around appliances and nearby walls and floors can absorb that moisture and form black mold. Water intrusion through appliances can be extra dangerous because not only will leaky pipes most likely be out of sight, such as in walls or in cabinets, but they are in the perfect place to cause harm to the building materials and foundation of a structure.

[wc_row][wc_column size=”one-half” position=”first”]

The third most common cause of mold in any property is water intrusion through leaky ceilings or cracked windows. Even if it does not rain a lot at your location, a leak in the ceiling can allow excess moisture to enter the home. If you are experiencing heavy water intrusion it could be a sign of poor construction and may require a technician to diagnose any problems.

[/wc_column][wc_column size=”one-half” position=”last”] [imageframe lightbox=”no” padding=”50px” style=”border” style=”dropshadow” bordercolor=”#ffffff” bordersize=”4px” stylecolor=”” align=”left” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1”]severely-cracked-foundation-lg[/imageframe] [/wc_column][/wc_row]

 Cracked or defective window frames can allow intrusion into the structure and provides a solid environment where moisture meets with food (building material). Mold can begin to grow within 24-48 hours. The problem is exacerbated if the area is poorly ventilated.

[tagline_box backgroundcolor=”” shadow=”no” shadowopacity=”0.1″ border=”1px” bordercolor=”” highlightposition=”top” link=”” linktarget=”_self” buttoncolor=”” button=”” title=”” description=”In the end, we are the biggest deterrent for mold. By controlling humidity, maintaining appliances, getting regular mold inspections with moisture testing, and responding immediately to leaks and flooding, you be likely to stop a mold problem or catch it in its early stages.” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″][/tagline_box]

If we don’t pay enough attention to our indoor environment, mold will grow, and grow. Before you know, unknown respiratory sickness will creep in, your personal belongs will be ruined and wreaking of mildew, dry rot will eat away at the structure, and you will have to pay countless thousands to repair and replace what has been lost or damaged. The property will also be legally unsellable until repaired.

If you think your home is at risk for moisture and mold, and would like a professional opinion, call Indoor-Restore today for more information.